Okay, North Carolina, You Win

July 10, 2013 By: Juanita Jean Category: Uncategorized

North Carolina saw how all the women in Texas wanted the government to make choices about their bodies so …

North Carolina House Republicans are pushing legislation that would restrict abortion access, attaching the measure to an unrelated motorcycle safety bill on Wednesday and giving neither the public nor Democratic legislators any advance notice.

On Wednesday morning, state Rep. Joe Sam Queen (D) wrote on Twitter, “New abortion bill being heard in the committee I am on. The public didn’t know. I didn’t even know.”

Okay, so does this mean you can only have abortions on motorcycles or that you can’t have abortions on motorcycles?  I know I’m confused.

Do Vespas count?  I hope not because I want a pink one.

I guess once the Pope approves the jacket, all bets are off.

Thanks to Miemaw for the heads up.

27 Comments to “Okay, North Carolina, You Win”

1. This is all so slimey the way so many craven states are doing this! All of these bills are headed straight into court cases so ten to one there will be temporary injunctions against implementing them until the court makes a decision. It sure looks like an R conspiracy with so many states doing this all at the same time. The pro-natalist have built their own personal volcano. When it explodes it will take them with it. Really!
    Haven’t these people ever heard of critical mass? Like maybe in physics class?

2. maryelle says:

The Repug agenda is to push their outrageous policies down our throats any way they can.
    The American Taliban is alive and well and getting their way with impunity.

3. These states are doing the nullification thing again and dare the DOJ to stop them. The theory of nullification has been rejected repeatedly by the courts. The courts have found that under the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution, federal law is superior to state law, and that under Article III of the Constitution, the federal judiciary has the final power to interpret the Constitution. Therefore, the power to make final decisions about the constitutionality of federal laws lies with the federal courts, not the states, and the states do not have the power to nullify federal laws. In the 1950s, southern states attempted to use nullification and interposition to prevent integration of their schools. These attempts failed when the Supreme Court again rejected nullification in Cooper v. Aaron, explicitly holding that the states may not nullify federal law. We are seeing it once again with abortion and efforts at voter suppression.

4. W C Peterson says:

I think it needs to get very very lonely in the bedrooms of Republican Representatives and Senators for a long long time. At least until they come back to their senses. Wives need to tell them they cannot take the chance of there being a health issues, so they have to guard their bodies appropriately. lakanookie can be a powerful force for good in this world.
    I’m an American male, but I know better than to interfere with a woman’s right to her own body. Even if I might disagree (which I don’t), it’s my duty to support her decision.
    SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is not just a cute Internet acronym.

5. I, for one am happy to pass along the “crazy” trophy to North Carolina.

Maybe if you have an abortion on a motorcycle, or not, you have to wear a helmet?

Motorcycle safety and abortion. I’m not finding a connection there….. anywhere. If there is one.

6. Oh, Maggie, you are so kind to assume they went to any classes at all, much less physics. (From what I understand from a friend of mine who was a classmate of prickperry, he didn’t show up overly much.) Or that they would have gone to class to do anything other than troll for dates. Or that they can keep focused on anything for more than their 10-minute attention spans; we already know that what they say today is completely forgotten by tomorrow because their little sieves can’t hold it in…

7. okiegirl says:

IMHO, the flurry of new absurd state restrictions is because the anti-abortion contingent believes the time is right to get one of these cases before the Supremes, which gives them a shot at overturning Roe. The OK legislature was way ahead of TX though. We enacted such legislation in 2010, an appeal of which the Supremes have now accepted. To my shame, there was no protest here though when it happened.

See Ed Kilgore at Washington Monthly, The Inevitable SCOTUS Review of State Abortion Laws.

LOVE THIS BLOG. Please keep it up. I found out about it a couple of months ago, and it has been my first go-to with my morning coffee ever since.

8. Okiegirl, you are exactly right about the RWNJ’s passing these asinine bills so they can get the issue before the SCOTUS. Even if they can’t get Roe struck down, they might be able to chip away a little but more of a woman’s right to make her own reproductive choices. And don’t kid yourself for a minute, it’s not about women’s health and safety, it’s all about control.

9. Dave in Austin says:

OK, here it is. Trending now……

#Motorcyclevagina

Oh My!!

When I hop on my bright red Harley tomorrow, Life will have a whole new meaning.

10. It really impacts poor women, rather than all women. I am old enough to remember when abortions were illegal in this state, and there wasn’t much to do on Friday nights after the football games. My classmates from one side of town would go away for a week to “visit family.” For girls from the other side of town, their education was over. With no high school degree, they were on their own to raise a baby. The increased costs will fall on the counties, because the county hospitals will end up treating these mothers and babies, or the women who end up in the emergency room because of a back-street abortion. I cannot imagine that a female family member of any of the Republicans pushing these bills will ever be forced to continue a pregnancy they do not want to continue. They can all afford those little trips to “visit family” in other states.

Darn, all of you have already read and written and probably nobody else will see this but THIS IS ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council, at work. google ALEC North Carolina legislation and see what all you find and who is pushing it. The Kingdom of Koch is playing their games again.

12. okiegirl says:

Chip, chip, chip.
    Drip, drip, drip.

Yes sandra, I think that’s the game. Sound like trickle down to anyone else?

13. okiegirl says:

Since I’m new to commenting here, I’m a WF in my 60’s. Yes, I remember back-alley abortions. Horrendous. We can’t go back there.

It’s time to take the offensive. We need legislation to regulate a man’s use of their reproductive systems that is equal to the regulation of women’s reproductive systems.

I suggest Genesis 38 where the God of Abraham uses the death penalty to punish a dude who spills his seed on the ground. Now I’m not that harsh. I think 5-10 yrs in prison would be enough.

15. Aggieland liz says:

Well, the other thing is that the 2014 midterms are coming up and the T’bangelicals (none too quickwitted, we noticed it years ago) had finally noticed that the Rethug establishment was dragging its collective feet on the whole abortion issue. During Bush II’s rain (rein? reign? Strategerie anyone?) they had a Rethug majority for several years and didn’t do a thing about Roe. The religious right noticed that their little pet issue wasn’t getting any play except in the run-up to elections, where it was most useful. The Rethugs finally had to do something (Perry just wants brand recognition) or risk complete failure of the Southern Strategy and rupture of their base. This may happen anyway, with Papa Paco dragging the poor into every conversation he has and admonishing Catholics (and by extension, other Christians) about their classism, racism, and conspicuous consumption in addition to their whiny I’m-so-put-upon attitudes. Nice to have a pope who’s more concerned with his flock than his wardrobe, or the restoration of Church power, or morality legislation for a change. He may even get American Catholics paying attention again, which would be very bad for the Rethugs! Working class Catholics used to be one of the bigger blocs in the Democratic arsenal; some of us have never gone awry! Universal healthcare, better access to education/contraception, and a stronger social safety net (including child-care reforms) would be a much more successful way to reduce abortions than more laws!

16. I’m with you on the Vespa, sister. Have wanted one most of my life. I think we should get a pair, put some burnt orange streamers trailing off the backside, pack up some Stand With Texas Women signs, and do a “tired-of-this-nonsense-crazy-old-ladies” Vespa tour of the small towns in Texas where that big fancy bus won’t even fit in the streets. We could get ourselves into lots of trouble. And maybe stir some up on the way, too. I’ll bet Tenneha, Timpson, Bobo & Blair would never be the same again.

17. Juanita Jean says:

Karen – this sounds like a whole lot more fun if we’re stoned and armed.

18. Darn!!!!!

‘Call the midwife’ was a series depicting the miserable life of a woman in the late 1940s. It was not meant to be a template
    for the republican agenda.

At least in the series women did get medical care of a sort so the GOP kind of improved it (so they think)

19. Dave in Austin says:

Ho Boy…..

I’m in Austin, TX today with @DavidHDewhurst & many others to #stand4life & support #SB1 #HB2 http://t.co/NaJ0KG9SWu— Rick Santorum (@RickSantorum) July 11, 2013

20. Bosco Brown says:

Ladies, help the Rude Pundit out!

21. Aggieland liz says:

Ok Dave, I’m nauseated now!

JJ you’ve got all the arms you need, two! And more between your ears than any ten bakers dozens of slobbering second amendment fruitloops. A bullhorn might be a nice touch! If you want to leave Vespa tracks on Santorums little argyle sweater that would be excellent-a “Juanita Was Here” moment!

A leopard print Vespa might suit you… Burnt orange accessorizes nicely with leopard. You’ll have your Wendy Davis sneakers for the pink, right?

22. Dave in Austin says:

Liz

I’m sure you’ll be pleezed to know he was on Senate floor for an all male photo op…..

I have never been a hateful person but this feeling of distain just won’t go away. I really really dislike these people.

23. Grace Newton says:

I liked the comment a friend of a friend posted on Facebook about this issue “Unborn To Be Wild!”
    They are idiots. Flaming, clueless and to parapharse the Master, Bugs Bunny, “What a bunch of maroons.”

24. Grace Newton says:

“paraphrase” Sheesh.

25. Clemtown says:

I agree with Marge Wood, it’s ALEC rearing its ugly head, that’s why it’s on a lot of stats lege agenda at once.

26. Corinne Sabo says:

Maybe they think women can get pregnant from riding a motorcycle. We are talking about North Carolina….

1 Trackbacks/Pingbacks